Jewelry Selling Guide
Call Us Today: 858.412.6462
950 Silverado Road
La Jolla, CA 92037
Have Immediate Questions? Call us today at (858) 412-6462
Jewelry Selling Guide:
Is your gold jewelry, silver jewelry or other jewelry getting dusty in your jewelry box or attic? Maybe it is time for a new style or you would like some cash. Whether you’re experienced with precious metals or simply looking to sell unused jewelry, United Coin & Precious Metals makes selling jewelry educational and profitable.
We will examine your bracelets, necklaces, earrings and rings to make sure you get the cash your gold and silver jewelry deserves.
Many jewelry lovers get an itch to update their style or liquidate their gold. In La Jolla, California, many people visit United Coin & Precious Metals not only as a place to sell gold jewelry in San Diego, but to learn about the process while they do it.
Whether you have gold jewelry, silver jewelry or other precious metal pieces, United Coin & Precious Metals will pay cash, check or wire transfer. So swap out your unused jewelry pieces for some card-hold cash, gold coins or silver coins today. Popular types of jewelry UCPM sees.
Diamond jewelry: Many sellers of diamond jewelry grace out store, in both loose stones and set in jewelry pieces. There is much one should know about the four Cs before selling diamond jewelry: cut, carat, clarity, and color.
Precious metal jewelry: Platinum, gold and silver make up many jewelry settings and are popular with buyers and sellers.
Handcrafted, artisan, and ethnic jewelry: Jewelry sellers often come in with one-of-a-kind and hard to find pieces. United Coin & Precious Metals loves these pieces, as often times they come with a back-st0ry from diverse and unique cultures.
- Vintage and Antique Jewelry: United Coin & Precious Metals also buys men;s jewelry. Some of the popular men’s jewelry items we see are rings, bracelets, chains, belt buckles, cufflinks and tie tacks.
Get Top Dollar for Your Jewelry
Once you have determined what you will sell, you must think about how much you think it is worth and what’s a fair offer. This step is why United Coin & Precious Metals encourages San Diegans to know the value of their gold or silver jewelry before selling. Perhaps, if you are selling a big gold lot, make a checklist of the items and your perceived value of them. Many aspects go into giving your gold jewelry and silver jewelry value: dimensions and sizes, original retial price, estimated value, information about the collection it belongs to, authentication, grades (cut and clarity), and other interesting features.
The most common conditions of jewelry United Coin & Precious Metals sees are as follows:
Gently Used (GU): Gently used materials have been cleaned and possibly used, but look new and have no big signs of wear and no flaws.
Poor: Jewelry pieces that show major wear and cannot be worn are in poor condition, and are pieces United Coin & Precious Metals are strong buyers of. Pieces in poor condition might have desirable elements and parts. Make sure to be very clear about your item’s condition when listing an item in poor condition.
Carat (CT): Carat is the measurement of size for diamonds and precious stones.
Do Your Research
If you don’t know much about your gold and silver jewelry, not very much research at all can clue you into what you are selling, thus leading to higher returns. Examine your jewelry for signatures, markings, dates, engravings, or brands.
Learn about the company or maker that your pieces were made by. Learn about the materials used, production era, production company and rarity. All of these details will give you a better estimate of your item’s value, and educating your buyers can increase the attraction of your item.
When selling jewelry pieces that contain expensive stones or materials, or that are is potentially worth a lot, it may be worthwhile to get your item appraised and authenticated. That’s where United Coin & Precious Metals could potentially come in to further assist you in your research. United Coin & Precious Metals is qualified, experienced professionals who pledge to provide unbiased opinions.
- With a magnifying glass or a loop find a marking which will give you the purity of your material.
- Is the marking crisp and clear? Can you easily tell that your jewelry is 14k, 18k, 22k or 24k gold? That’s a good sign for your sterling silver or gold jewelry. If it is not so crisp, then maybe – just maybe – the karats were marked by an inexperienced jeweler, or even worse someone making fake jewelry.
- If you’re worried about whether or not your jewelry is fake, United Coin & Precious Metals can test. If your jewelry sticks to a industrial strength magnet, then, sorry, it unfortunately has no valuable gold content.
- Then there is the acid test, which involves scratching into your gold to determine its value. We can also handle this for you.
- Determine Gold’s Current Value
- At United Coin & Precious Metals’ website, you can find the current price of gold, silver and platinum. These metals are weighed in troy ounces, which is the equivalent to 31.1 grams. This means, with a scale, you will have to weight your treasure.
- Divide the gold price by the amount of grams per ounce, 31.1
- If today’s gold price is USD$2,000, then today’s price per gram is USD $64.30.(USD$2,000/31.1)
- Multiply the per gram. This is so you can find the purity.
- 10k = 10/24 = .4167
- 14k = 14/24 = .5833
- 18k = 18/24 = .750
- 22k = 22/24 = .9167
- Multiply the price per gram by the weight in grams.